Author Topic: Don't know if this is software or hardware problem, but any advice would be nice  (Read 459 times)

Offline utherpendragonfly

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Dragonfly Dreaming
Recently my wired ethernet connection has bee acting strange, getting very slow, then normal; but since last night very, very slow. I tried the DSL connection speed test and it took forever and was way below normal. This morning I just got error messages. But on another computer (laptop) with wifi, there's no problem at all.
So I talked to my internet provider tech support  and it appears the DSL modem is not the problem. They thought it may be a hardware problem, because the computer is about 7 years old.
Thern a while ago I thought I'd boot from the Pinguy OS Branded CD (am now running unbranded Pinguy OS) to see what happens with that, in case it was a software issue. I booted from this CD last week without a problem, but today when it started it was rrreeeeaaallllyyy slow, like 10-12 minutes till it loaded the casper stuff and then the boot screen was going on forever and I finally just shut down the computer.
When I rebooted without from the HD my internet connection would not work. "Failed to connect to Auto eth0". Eventually I rebooted again and now the ethernet works!
So I'm a bit baffled by these symptoms. I'm thinking it's probaly hardware is failing, like the ethernet adapter. Or could something else be going bad? But why couldn't I boot from the CD?
Does anyone more knowledgeable than I have any ideas?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Dragonfly Dreaming
Well, I guess I fixed my problem. My ethernet adapter must be bad. I removed the ethernet cable and plugged in a usb wifi adapter I was using on the upstairs computer, and the internet connection is about half the speed it should be, but way better than it was.
I was also able to boot from PinguyOS Branded disc finally. Though the first time I popped it in, nothing happened. It did not mount to the desktop. I removed it, tried again, and then it showed up. I was able to install and everything is fine now. But I'm wondering if there is something else ailing this machine besides the ethernet.
Wish I could get a new computer, but that will have to wait a bit.  :-\

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Dragonfly Dreaming
Good grief! Now it looks like there's nothing wrong with my computer. The problem is in the DSL modem. Apparently I just need to turn it off now and then, and then the ethernet connection works great.  Though I've never had to do that before, that's what the Frontier tech guy told me.
Technology continues to baffle me.....

Offline teh-p3nsi0n3r

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Well, I guess I fixed my problem. My ethernet adapter must be bad.

sounds like the problem to me, especially since you have had a laptop running off of the same network/connection.

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
So I talked to my internet provider tech support  and it appears the DSL modem is not the problem. They thought it may be a hardware problem, because the computer is about 7 years old.

Your ISP will always tell you that it is something else that is causing the problem - they never want to take responsibility for anything. You need to debug the issue yourself and tell them what is wrong (And for the love for god don't mention you are running Linux)

From what you describe I'd bet it is an issue with the network card or your router (not the modem, unless of course your router and modem are an all in one).

~Jeff

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Dragonfly Dreaming

Your ISP will always tell you that it is something else that is causing the problem - they never want to take responsibility for anything. You need to debug the issue yourself and tell them what is wrong (And for the love for god don't mention you are running Linux)

From what you describe I'd bet it is an issue with the network card or your router (not the modem, unless of course your router and modem are an all in one).

~Jeff

Yes, the router and modem are all in one. I sort of don't think it's the ethernet/network card, because the last time the connection went out my laptop with wifi also would not connect.
Anyway, right now my wired connection on this computer and the wifi enabled computers are all working fine. Apparently if the problem occurs again I just need to reboot the modem/router. Actually if it does happen again I think I'll have to demand a new modem! That just doesn't seem right.

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Dragonfly Dreaming
PS- I'm a big fan of your blog, Jeff.
And I see what you mean about not mentioning Linux. Doesn't their server infrastructure run on Linux?