Author Topic: PinguyOS with intel chipset graphics  (Read 726 times)

Offline LovlySuicide

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
PinguyOS with intel chipset graphics
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »
Hey there,
I'd really like to use PinguyOS on my Laptop, but it seems that the installed intel 885gm chipset is to slow or something. Everything goes well on startup, but when I open a window (for example in nautilus) the processes "Xorg" and "conky"  take ~99% of my CPU-speed. I guess that's because of the graphics? CPU is Celeron D @1,6Ghz. 512MB RAM, enough HDD :)

If I'm wrong, just tell me. If I'm right please help, PinguyOS is very lovely :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:17:41 pm by LovlySuicide »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline LovlySuicide

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Re: PinguyOS with intel chipset graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:14:19 am »
Liitle update: I applied the tweak of this blog entry: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/ to fix my graphics. Now the problem occurs only if I use nautilus or other applications (vlc, conky, ...)  for a certain time ?.O
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:42:45 pm by LovlySuicide »

Offline LovlySuicide

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Re: PinguyOS with intel chipset graphics
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »
I hope this is not going to be a monologue...  :(

I disabled all graphical features, turnt off all animations and so on. I have only a title bar on my desktop. The problem never occured in idle state so far, but the cpu fan does not work as in other systems (I think this is a feature?), so the cooler is getting hot with the time. (At some point the fan is working, the cpu is not melting :P)

This point is interesting. If I start ANY application which takes some cpu (let it be vlc, nautilus, docky, even conky, ...) the system goes to 100%. The badass process seems to be gnome-wm. The system monitor says, that approximately 75% are light blue, 25% are dark blue. On a friend's computer (with ubuntu)  light color means "waiting for resources/devices" or something like that.

So I tried to change some system settings to effect gnome. Ubuntu Tweak enabled me to change the window-manager. I changed from "gnome-wm" to "Xorg". After a reboot I thought to have solved the problem, because my computer let me play approximately 5 minutes of a fullscreen video. Then the same symptoms like above. *arg*

Does someone recognize this problem?

[sorry for my English, I'm from Germany]