Author Topic: Gnome settings  (Read 276 times)

Offline esqui

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Gnome settings
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:34:11 am »
Hi everyone!

Pinguy, you may remember my tweet about a week ago about the display looking rubbish. It wasn't my drivers, you'll be pleased to know.

Anyway, I'm after a little help - no bugs here, just my lack of knowledge. I have my home folder on a separate partition, so I can keep files whilst moving distros. The trouble is, it also keeps the settings, particularly for gnome. As the set up here is different (better) than my previous Fedora install, the fact  that my settings were different, caused a mass of trouble.

So far, I tried moving .gconf so it wasn't picked up. This got most things working again, but there are still a lot of missing features (e.g. mint-menu, the desktop background changer).

Is it possible just to delete a few more settings files/folders and restart? Or would I be best to remove the folders and reinstall the thing? Or something easier entirely?

Thanks in advance for the help, I love the distribution, it looks fantastic. (And btw, I seem to recall from the Ubuntu forums thread, that Pinguy lives about half an hour away from me - I'm in Bournemouth. Hi neighbour!)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
Re: Gnome settings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:33:28 am »
Hi neighbour  :D

As I have heavily modified gnome your best bet would be to do a fresh install. All I would say is install xmarks into firefox you have running now and backup your firefox bookmarks and settings, and once you have a fresh install of Pinguy OS re-install xmarks and sync your setting with the new install.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:41:17 am by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline esqui

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:48:24 am »
Cool. I want to keep my files as intact as possible, so would it be best just to delete all the hidden gnome files and let the install put them back the right way round?

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:00:05 pm »
The best thing to do is to copy the folders for the programs you want saved, then do a fresh install on a clean home. Once that has done just copy back the folders for the programs you backed up.

When installing a fresh copy I would use a separate home partition. That way once 10.10 comes out you won't loose any of your settings.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:02:39 pm by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com