Author Topic: Is This True ?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Rodney9

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Is This True ?
« on: August 27, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
Someone posted on a forum a  argument that Pinguy OS is unsafe and will fall apart with dependency problems, here is part of this qoute-

Okay. TED - Torrent Episode Downloader isn't going to update. It hasn't been installed via debian/ubuntu package manager. Same issue with a lot of the software that's included in Pinguy... Do you understand what Pinguy did? He configured his ubuntu, on his PC the way he (and his friends) like it and then he froze it as a live CD. A lot of the stuff that was added will not be getting any updates from the "software updates" program.

You can do this yourself, once you're confident you have the system that you want.. Making a custom Live CD/Distro remix is part of the documentation too.

Is that so hard to understand? Updates are dished out for packages which are within the Ubuntu repositories that you use ONLY. It's not going to update packages it doesn't even know exist.

I don't this is right, with 60 odd PPA's and 318 apt updates, I think Pinguy has remade Mints update to keep the whole OS updated and safe.

Am I correct in this thinking ?

Rodney
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:34:59 pm by Rodney9 »
Toshiba Satellite L500/08P Laptop - Pinguy OS 10.04.1

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
Re: Is This True ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:38 am »
Yes you are right to think that. That person has been misinformed. He is right about TED - Torrent Episode Downloader not having it's own repostory but the program has it's own updater built in. All the other programs have there own repostory and will update.

Could you link to the site you quote that from so I can let the person know.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:39:09 am by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline Rodney9

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:47:21 am »
Here is the forum I copied the quote, it would be good if you reply, I have been trying to tell them how fantastic your OS is, but some are so negative.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1518144&p=3

Rodney
Toshiba Satellite L500/08P Laptop - Pinguy OS 10.04.1

Offline Phossy

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 01:52:25 am »
Good response you posted on the other forum - their talk of FanBoys seems a bit rich to me. Thanks for plugging the holes in Ubuntu and all the other tweaks that make using PinguyOs a very nice experience so far. Good work and thanks for sharing it.

Offline yugnip

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Curious Yugnip
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:35:43 pm »
Sheesh, I just read the subject thread and am struck immediately by why I generally stay away from forums.  Let's hope this 'community' can keep its sanity.  And while I do understand some of the poster's comments in that particular thread, I feel reassured by Pinguy's thoughtful response.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:40:41 pm »
I have just posted in that forum. I hope I have cleared things up with Tomskithenewb. This is one thing I have never understood. How can someone be so judgemental about something they have obviously never used. If he had he would know that his comments are redundant.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:43:36 pm by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:22:59 am »
Pinguy, I'm sorry to say this, but, some people, even though they have functional eyes, are blind as bats when it suits them.

For what I read, that user has a serious case of that, and he really doesn't like to see Ubuntu touched.

In my opinion, he doesn't know, doesn't care, and absolutely and ultimately doesn't want anyone using any OS but Ubuntu. What to do? Leave him to talk alone. That's all. :)
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline wayne

• Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:40 am »
I went to read that thread.
at the end, i tell myself from old learning : you cannot win an argument.
just move forward, so that more people benefit from this OS.

as for me, i tried various Linux OS, and experienced various problems like no sound, no video, no internet, cannot boot , cannot login even using user name and password, etc.
a few Linux distros work out of the box. Pinguy OS is one of them, i am using it now... and will test more when new version get release.

i do have several computers for testing,, also often i get people who need help to dispose old computer due to very slow response, i shall take opportunity to test Pinguy OS ( such as Pentium version, AMD version) and some small distros ( slow cpu, celeron versions, low ram).

thanks again on this good OS.
NEC Versa Celeron 1.8G
Compaq Presario S4150AP

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Wayne, probably not a good idea to install PinguyOS in machines with little memory or old graphic cards. It's a bit more graphic intensive then regular Ubuntu.

It may work on Pentium 4's, but below that, this is not the distro for it. This is not backed by experience or data, it's just my impression. Also I tried regular Ubuntu on that kind of machines, and had horrible experiences. :)

Right now I have it working on my daughters laptop, ACER 5630EZ, that is 1 year old, and uses Intel video and audio, with Ubuntu, was full of problems, with either audio and video, but, works flawlessly with PinguyOS. My 15 years old daughter is loving it.

So... There's something different about it... not sure what, but, now it works.
When something is working, don't FIX it.