Author Topic: Wireless connection  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
Re: Wireless connection
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 12:07:39 am »
No harm in trying. As I know the make of your router now I will do a bit of research for you to see if this is a common problem.
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 01:35:11 am »
Hmmm.. which file would I delete and where would it be? I seem to remember having to do this in my early days of 'nix, just don't recall where the heck it is.

Might it be better to un-install and re-install the network manager to get fresh input?

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 04:46:31 pm »
Hmmm.. which file would I delete and where would it be? I seem to remember having to do this in my early days of 'nix, just don't recall where the heck it is.

Might it be better to un-install and re-install the network manager to get fresh input?

Decided to go back to a clean install, so I reloaded Pinguy64 version. I came across this tool for RT61 over at serial monkey, but it is only a binary. Can you teach me how to compile it, I didnt see anything there. I'd like to try it out and see what happens.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:39 am »

Decided to go back to a clean install, so I reloaded Pinguy64 version. I came across this tool for RT61 over at serial monkey, but it is only a binary. Can you teach me how to compile it, I didnt see anything there. I'd like to try it out and see what happens.

Pinguy OS ships with the RT61 driver. The wireless is working on your system as you proved this by using the open wireless connection "linksys" and connecting to the internet. it's your router that's blocking you access to the net. You need to modify your router settings.

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 12:07:48 pm »
I've modified my router settings, and even switched to WPA from WEP, still no dice. And even though it connects to the Linksys, its still barely a connection, which is for the most part unusable.
My Vista box connects with no problems, and when I put in a live DVD of an older Ultimate Ed. in this box, I'm online in a snap., which is where I'm posting this from. I'm at a loss, going to go thru the settings on here and see whats different.

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »
Pinguy OS ships with the RT61 driver. The wireless is working on your system as you proved this by using the open wireless connection "linksys" and connecting to the internet. it's your router that's blocking you access to the net. You need to modify your router settings.

Well, I dont know what the deal is, but I cant seem to get it sorted out. The problem only seems to be with Lucid based distros at the moment. I can go back to Jaunty and Karmic and connect all day long, so I dont see how my router is the issue.

I guess I'll wait for 10.10 to hit the streets and see what happens, hopefully a better outcome! I really like the look of the PinguyOS and would like to run it, but no internet is no go..

Thanks for your help!

jfg69

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
An update of sorts.. I decided to contact Actiontec about the router issue, and this was the reply I received. This is a joke of a support team.
In my searching, I have seen it suggested that IPv6 may be the culprit, as its been written into the kernal as opposed to being a module that can be removed. Seems to make sense if Ubuntu variants are using the same kernels, I have little to no knowledge of kernels. I tried a distro called OpenMamba which is not a variant of anything and I was able to get a wireless connection in about 2 seconds using WICD. I tried WICD in Pinguy and no go. Tried it in other Ubuntus of the 10.04, no go.. so I'm still stuck. Damn this shitty hardware!

Product:
  MI424WR (Rev. ACD) - Wireless Broadband Router

Incident Summary
  =========================
  Hardware revision C, Current Firmware: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3 Unit is   approximately 2-3 years old.  What settings are needed for this unit to   be compatible with Linux Ubuntu versions 10.04 and up? I am unable to   connect in WEP, WPA1/2 at all. Is IPv6 supported fully by the router or   should it be turned off?  I am unable to connect at all using my   wireless network adapter in later linux kernels. I can connect in   earlier kernels without any problems. I'm using a Linksys WMP54G series   wireless adaptor.

Resolution:
  Honestly no idea as we have no information on LINUX currently available.
  IPv6 is not fully supported so use IPv4

If this solution did not resolve your issue please submit a new   incident.
  http://support.actiontec.com/email_support/support_form.php

Sincerely,

Actiontec Support Team

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:24 am »
A last ditch efforet...
Well, after trying a few different OS'es to see what kind of wireless connection I could get, it seems Mandriva was connecting the best, and quickest. That would be great if I liked Mandriva, but I dont.

Is there anything I can look for in mandriva while I'm online that I might be able to use to get Pinguy working for me? A setting or different driver or whatever.. I'd really like to run Pinguy on my system, as its the closest thing to what I eventually end up with after I customize my system, and I prefer to stay ubuntu based as its what I know.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:43 am »
As you haven't got much to loose (as the wifi isn't working) you could try a newer kernel.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.33.1-lucid/

This might have a newer driver for your wifi card.

Pinguy OS will have to be installed for this to work. You can't try this on a live session.

If that kernel doesn't work try a newer one.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:09:44 am by Pinguy »

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 02:44:46 am »
As you haven't got much to loose (as the wifi isn't working) you could try a newer kernel.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.33.1-lucid/

This might have a newer driver for your wifi card.

Pinguy OS will have to be installed for this to work. You can't try this on a live session.

If that kernel doesn't work try a newer one.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
Wasnt sure if a "linux kernel was a linux kernel" (meaning it didnt matter distrowise) or each was different per distro. Looks like its compiled from the same source, but compiled differently for each distro?
I've been trying to see the differences in the kernels, the one in the mandriva 2010.1 is using 2.6.33.x, saw this on the website, maybe this is the driver fix. I'll take a shot at it when I get home from work tonight. Looking at your link, I backtracked and saw some even later kernels.
Code: [Select]
Even better hardware support.
Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring gets all of Linux 2.6.33 kernel benefits: improved wireless support, enhancements for RTL 8187 wireless driver, included support for RTL 8187 SE wireless driver and adopt Mesh utilities and test support for ralink, atheros and others.

Anyway, I'll report back my results.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:05:07 am by jfg69 »

Offline jfg69

• Karma +0/-0
  • New-2-Pinguy
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 03:20:00 pm »
Upgraded kernel to latest, no luck. Removed network-manager and replaced with WICD, no luck.. Not sure why I can connnect with ease in non Ubuntu distros, I just dont have the time to figure it out between work and school.

I guess my choices are to go back to an earlier version of ubuntu based distro or go to something like Mandriva to have something thats more up to date.

I'm guessing you can close this thread; hopefully I'll be back in the near future with different results.