Author Topic: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)  (Read 2706 times)

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Re: Suggestion about nVidia Drivers
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »
Howdy There,

So I've installed Pinguy on a couple of system that sport nVidia chips now and I was wondering if one of two things can happen -

A.) Have closed source drivers pre-installed when it detects an nvidia chip
and/or
B.) Include the PPA that installs the latest nVidia drivers (256 as of now) as they are faster than the 195 drivers.

~Jeff

You can easily add Nvidia PPA with Ubuntu Tweak which is installed by default. Just an FYI.
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
i think you should consider NOT modifying firefox's default look. the opera theme is a bit off in some places and new users wont ever see what firefox really look like (if they never used ff before, which is weird) . And besides, if you like ff to look like opera, just include it in the distro.

+1 on this comment. I uninstalled a good deal of the add-ons. I would recommend lessing the amount of pre-installed add-ons, even a windows usaer will be familure with FF if they have used it. They can add what they want easy enough. 
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Come up with own branding and a complete theme with branded wallpaper.  This would add to the appearance of a professional looking Distro. Just my humble opinion on the matter.  :)

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
May want to reduce size of ISO to fit on CD. With Ubuntu tweak can easily add most of what you want.  Or make a light version to fit on CD.

Offline jason

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Pinguytastic
agree on the point that adding a poll before adding.

I for one would want gimps and inkscape added as default,

I am not a developer and fairly noob but would love to be involved in the continued developement of artwork
-: MEMBER OF THE PINGUY OS CONVERSION SQUAD :-

Offline Ziggyjr

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
I would like to be able to update PinguyOS via the update manager instead of having to reinstall it every time a new version comes out.

Overall PinguyOS is AWESOME!!

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
That will come, in time. :)
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline opticyclic

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Unetbootin instead of StartUp Disk Creator.
StartUp DIsk Creator wont create a bootable USB if the ISO isn't an Ubuntu derivative.
Which is quite a significant flaw in my opinion.

Offline jason

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Pinguytastic
Unetbootin instead of StartUp Disk Creator.
StartUp DIsk Creator wont create a bootable USB if the ISO isn't an Ubuntu derivative.
Which is quite a significant flaw in my opinion.

Which creator is used in Kubuntu as that will handle any OR what about Multi disk alwasys good to keep several options on a disk:)

Jason

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
As there seems to be a high demand for Unetbootin it will go into 10.10

If you are running Pinguy OS on a netbook can you post what netbook you are using and how well it works. I am getting some feedback from people telling me that this runs wonderfully on netbook's but don't own one so can't confirm.

Please post all Netbooks running Pinguy OS here: http://www.pinguyos.smffy.com/index.php/topic,42.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:58:13 pm by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
In an effort to support more hardware would it be a good idea to include say, the backported wireless modules into the default Pinguy kernel? It can't hurt to do so and would only increase support for a number of USB/internal wifi chips.

~Jeff

Offline jason

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Pinguytastic
Re: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 08:06:49 am »
Come up with own branding and a complete theme with branded wallpaper.  This would add to the appearance of a professional looking Distro. Just my humble opinion on the matter.  :)

hi there i will be working on it. :)

Offline Craig

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:48 am »
Two things: On the sourceforge PinguyOS site the following is in the description.

1)
Pinguy OS is just an optimise build of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I'd delete the word "just" as it makes the optimizations sound trivial. That could probably be said about Mint but Pinguy OS is more of a complete overhaul of Ubuntu. 

2) The global menu.

The first thing I did was remove the global menu. I have a 22" monitor and hardly ever use maximized windows.  When working with multiple windows, it's a lot of unnecessary travelling between bringing a window into focus and then getting to the menu. I originally came to Linux from Mac and the non-global menus was like a breath of fresh air.  That's just my opinion though. Maybe most people prefer it.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:32 am »
Two things: On the sourceforge PinguyOS site the following is in the description.

1)
Pinguy OS is just an optimise build of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I'd delete the word "just" as it makes the optimizations sound trivial. That could probably be said about Mint but Pinguy OS is more of a complete overhaul of Ubuntu. 

Done.
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com