Author Topic: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)  (Read 2711 times)

Offline yugnip

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Curious Yugnip
Re: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »

The first thing I did was remove the global menu. I have a 22" monitor and hardly ever use maximized windows.  When working with multiple windows, it's a lot of unnecessary travelling between bringing a window into focus and then getting to the menu. I originally came to Linux from Mac and the non-global menus was like a breath of fresh air.  That's just my opinion though. Maybe most people prefer it.

Oh, I really like the global menu... in fact I wish it was there for all and not just some apps. Use an app switcher &/or window switcher keyboard shorty to bring windows into focus. It's quicker...

Offline Phossy

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
Having never used the Mac like Global Menu and 'Docky' before (or even a Mac), I've found it to be brilliant, especially when using Gimp and modifying lots of photos. It's one of the reasons I like this distro so much. Now, in principle I could add these to any flavour of Linux, but the point is you provided this working 'out of the box' and I am really appreciative. This leads me to the whole point of the post. Don't compromise on what you've done and started - keep that promise of making something that is easy to use straight away for the inexperienced amongst us. That's far more important than making it fit into some arbitrary sized iso so it can go on a CD or keeping 'standard' set-ups. Those that are fluent in Linux can de-install things and fiddle around at their leisure - but to  install 'stuff 'as a Newbie who doesn't know what 'stuff' is available, then that's a whole lot more difficult.

Offline Phossy

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 01:38:32 am »
Along a similar line to an earlier post, do you think that simplifying  'Pinguy OS an out-of-the-box working operating system for everyone, not just geeks' to Pinguy OS an out-of-the-box working operating system for everyone.' might be a more positive message with broader appeal?

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »
Kazam seems like a program to keep an eye on. It's a screencasting tool that can upload straight to Youtube.

http://whyareyoureadingthisurl.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/kazam-0-1-released/

It's still pretty young so its a bit buggy, but I think in a few short releases this could be something special.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:52:32 am by Pinguy »
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline teh-p3nsi0n3r

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:13 pm »
a program i would like to suggest for a future release, would be a nzb/usenet/newsgroups program. i know thunderbird etc can be used as a reader but i am talking about handling binary files. a program for this use would be nice.

Lotta NZB is a really nice, simple program. Simplifys usenet/binary use. I used to use pan newsreader, but after giving lotta nzb a try its a really nice, simple program to use.  (it is in the ubuntu software centre).

http://www.lottanzb.org/

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:46 pm »
teh-p3nsi0n3r, although I do like your idea, lottanzb, is not the best option, or even close.

I tried a lot of nzb readers, until I found SabNZBdPlus, that is the most complete and simple to use.

http://sabnzbd.org/

I really suggest you take a look at it, and use it instead of Lotta. :)
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 02:58:37 pm »
I have never found a good native Linux NZB program. I still use Alt.Binz. It's one of the few Windows only programs that I run in Wine. The other ones are Spotify, Medieval CUE Splitter and MediaCoder. Just haven't found anything as good as these programs for Linux yet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:06:44 pm by Pinguy »

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »
Try sabnzbd Pinguy, you will thank me later. It decompresses the rars, makes a clean-up, you can format the name of the final file, setup the folders where they are stored with categories, read the nzb's from a rss feed, control it remotely, runs in a browser, and probably a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting right now. :)

And they give you the source to play with... :)
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline teh-p3nsi0n3r

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:49 am »
teh-p3nsi0n3r, although I do like your idea, lottanzb, is not the best option, or even close.

I tried a lot of nzb readers, until I found SabNZBdPlus, that is the most complete and simple to use.

http://sabnzbd.org/

I really suggest you take a look at it, and use it instead of Lotta. :)

i'll look into that, thanks. :)

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 12:24:38 am »
Just installed Kazam and gave it a test drive. It's really simple to use and gets the job done. http://tinyurl.com/26zoran
I doubt I will included it as a default program because I can't think of many people that would use it, and the people that would have there own favourite screencasting programs.

Anyway here's the video I made with it:

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:32 am »
Nice program, thanks for sharing Pinguy,  :)
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 05:32:16 am »
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned already, since Pinguy is in DVD form anyways - could we add the compiz extra plugins back in? They where removed from Ubuntu in 9.10 or 9.04 to save space. Would be nice to have them back by default.

~Jeff

Offline tripolinights

• Karma +1/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:42 am »
Hi,
Thank very much for a great distro. I'm trying to spread the word and I think what you've done is really impressive. The great looking pre-configuration and inclusion of really useful programs is brilliant and will help people to get into Linux and importantly enjoy computing more. This is especially true for people migrating from Windows.  The other great thing is that if people get a hold of the Pinguy DVD they don't have to download large files to install the apps you have ready to go. This is very important for people with slow or no internet.

Like I mentioned on my Twitter reply, there is a small app called Couturier which really useful and also very light on resources. It basically combines files into one PDF file, which is very useful. I would be grateful if you can consider including it as a default app with the next Pinguy. Here are a few links regarding this application:
website/Download:   http://sites.google.com/site/couturierapp/
Video review:

I will try to participate in feedback in the future. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Beacon (http://tripolinights.blogspot.com/)

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 01:57:11 am »
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned already, since Pinguy is in DVD form anyways - could we add the compiz extra plugins back in? They where removed from Ubuntu in 9.10 or 9.04 to save space. Would be nice to have them back by default.

~Jeff

+1 for this idea. Thanks for bringing it up Jeff.  :)
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:50 pm »
Giver could be a nice app to include. http://tinyurl.com/2fnfs65
Would any of you lot use it?