Author Topic: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »
Just post any ideas you have about improving PinguyOS here.
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
Re: Ideas for PinguyOS (default programs, changes etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »
The modified Firefox is nice but can easily overwhelm some new users and I think a unmodified or lightly modified install of chromium would be  a great addition to a default install.
All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
 CLIcompanion at  https://launchpad.net/clicompanion looks to be a nice hand holding tool for command line noobs.

Description: CLIcompanion is an application that is used as a compliment to the Terminal. People unfamiliar with the Terminal will find CLIcompanion a useful way to become acquainted with the Terminal. Using the built-in commands new users can unlock the potential of the Terminal. Experienced users can use CLIcompanion?s add command feature to build a command dictionary. Store commands as you come across them and no more do you have to search for them.

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:37:05 pm »
My suggestion is a Logo for PinguyOS.

I know that so far, PinguyOS, is only a customized version of Ubuntu, even if we don't rebrand it, we should have a Logo for the distro.

This should be proposed by the community, not made by the distro maintainer, he already has to much to do. I have little designing skills, specially with GIMP. But, I am sure many of you do have the skills.

Bring them on.
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »
CLIcompanion at  https://launchpad.net/clicompanion looks to be a nice hand holding tool for command line noobs.

Description: CLIcompanion is an application that is used as a compliment to the Terminal. People unfamiliar with the Terminal will find CLIcompanion a useful way to become acquainted with the Terminal. Using the built-in commands new users can unlock the potential of the Terminal. Experienced users can use CLIcompanion?s add command feature to build a command dictionary. Store commands as you come across them and no more do you have to search for them.

Installing that right NOW! Thanks for the tip. Looks just like what I need. n00b alert here... :)

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:38:13 pm »
PinguyOS has a P2P client(Frostwire) & Deluge but lacks a Good Download Manager and I think Jdownloader fills that gap.
There's a PPA available and the app updates quite easily. https://launchpad.net/~jd-team/+archive/jdownloader. This app is a time saver when it comes to downloading from file hosting sites.

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »
I will look into Jdownloader. There is an add-on for firefox that sounds like it does the same called SkipScreen 

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:08:32 am »
I've used skipscreen before and it's for quickly downloading a file but Jdownloader actually manages your downloads and isn't dependent on your browser when you have multiple file going at once.

Windows has nice font's but ubuntu doesn't provide a way to manage fonts easily, This is a small app that manages your fonts on linux http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:32 am »
I believe reading on desktop has become commonplace enough that users run into words they are unfamiliar with so I propose a offline/online Dictionary easily accessible on the desktop to lookup their meaning. http://artha.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Home

Offline ubuntufreak

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:48:40 am »
i think you should consider NOT modifying firefox's default look. the opera theme is a bit off in some places and new users wont ever see what firefox really look like (if they never used ff before, which is weird) . And besides, if you like ff to lok like opera, just include it in the distro.

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
Suggestion about nVidia Drivers
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
Howdy There,

So I've installed Pinguy on a couple of system that sport nVidia chips now and I was wondering if one of two things can happen -

A.) Have closed source drivers pre-installed when it detects an nvidia chip
and/or
B.) Include the PPA that installs the latest nVidia drivers (256 as of now) as they are faster than the 195 drivers.

~Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
i think you should consider NOT modifying firefox's default look. the opera theme is a bit off in some places and new users wont ever see what firefox really look like (if they never used ff before, which is weird) . And besides, if you like ff to lok like opera, just include it in the distro.

That is horrid logic. Opera's rendering engine is terrible IMO.

~Jeff

Offline oracle2b

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
    • Linux is not Windows
That is horrid logic. Opera's rendering engine is terrible IMO.

~Jeff

Have you used opera recently, because i'm not seeing what you're seeing. The opera theme on Firefox is a bit much though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:11:09 pm by oracle2b »

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
Hi thanks for all the great ideas please keep them coming. I won't post in here to often but will read all the comments. If there is something I like or something that the community wants to change I will try to incorporate it into Pinguy OS. I can't guarantee that all the ideas posted here will be put into Pinguy OS as I need to test them first and see how well they can be integrated into the OS.

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
We could also make some polls before the adding part... So we can measure the community interest in the said app. That way we don't need to clutter the OS with apps that only 1% of users find usable. That, only after it has been marked as "possible" by Pinguy.

In my opinion, anything with an interest above 25% is already useful. But, for that, we need the community to grow, so, spread the word about the forum, spread the word about PinguyOS. :)