Author Topic: Newer kernels?  (Read 694 times)

Offline DougieFresh

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Newer kernels?
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »
Is it possible to install the newer kernels and still have all work good? 2.6.35.19?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Re: Newer kernels?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »
Updating Kernel is risky and can bork your system. I would not recommend it.
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline yugnip

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Curious Yugnip
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:37:35 pm »
I believe in PinguyOS it's probably best to use the supplied Mint Update Manager, the automatic updater found in the upper panel,  rather than Synaptic for updates. The Mint Updater is tailored for your system, and Synaptic pulls updates from everywhere. Is this right?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:13:15 pm by yugnip »

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »
Is it possible to install the newer kernels and still have all work good? 2.6.35.19?

Unless you have a specific reason for upgrading your kernel to the newer one - don't.

That being said if you want to install a newer kernel on Pinguy .deb packages can be found for easy installation here. Note that Pinguy is based on Ubuntu 10.04, so install the packages that are compiled for Lucid.

Have any other questions feel free to ask.
~Jeff

Offline mmesantos1

• Junior
  • Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »

Unless you have a specific reason for upgrading your kernel to the newer one - don't.

That being said if you want to install a newer kernel on Pinguy .deb packages can be found for easy installation here. Note that Pinguy is based on Ubuntu 10.04, so install the packages that are compiled for Lucid.

Have any other questions feel free to ask.
~Jeff

Though I have done this method I would recommend to the OP to do a backup if he decides to take this rout. I cannot stress this enough.
My PC: AMD Athlon x2 2.3Ghz / DDR2 4GB / HDD 250GB / GeForce GTX 260 896MB / Dell 20" LCD / Corsair 850 PSU

Offline DougieFresh

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.
I am aware of 'borking' my box but has been done many times before, but I like to think that I am beyond that now  :) Also I have used the newer kernels on lucid before as I run a multi-boot machine:
AMD x2 dual core 5200+
ATI Radeon HD3200
320 GB hard drive
4G  RAM
I like to throw what I can at it, and it gets the job done
PinguyOS runs excellent on this machine

Offline speedbus

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:29:05 pm »
Just Use The Update Feature.. and It will pick the best (Stable) version of the Kernel.. and will update to that version.. :-)

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:34 pm »
Just Use The Update Feature.. and It will pick the best (Stable) version of the Kernel.. and will update to that version.. :-)

Because Ubuntu is locked into a 6month release cycle - they freeze their kernel. Meaning 2.6.35 will never make it's way into the default 10.04 updates. This kernel brings a slew of new features (including better FOSS drivers for ATI and Intel graphics cards) and multi touch support for alot of touch screens.

So depending on your hardware and what you do, upgrading to this kernel could be useful.

~Jeff

Offline DougieFresh

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

Because Ubuntu is locked into a 6month release cycle - they freeze their kernel. Meaning 2.6.35 will never make it's way into the default 10.04 updates. This kernel brings a slew of new features (including better FOSS drivers for ATI and Intel graphics cards) and multi touch support for alot of touch screens.

So depending on your hardware and what you do, upgrading to this kernel could be useful.

~Jeff
Actually I have 10.10 installed on one of my partitions and the latest kernel avail works great with my machine

Offline Jeff

• Global Moderator
  • Karma +1/-0
  • Linux Blogger
    • Thoughts on Technology
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »
Actually I have 10.10 installed on one of my partitions and the latest kernel avail works great with my machine

The *buntu kernel is heavily modified. Meaning the kernel in 10.10 is different from the vanilla 2.6.35 kernel.

~Jeff