Author Topic: Problem with docky  (Read 1516 times)

Offline davey486

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Problem with docky
« on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:57 am »
Pinguy,
This truly is an awesome distro you have built. I have been waiting for a nice XFCE/Ubuntu distro to come around but I think this is great and suits my needs. The problem I'm having is the docky menus that default to the side and bottom of the screens.  I like them, but I can't get switch the settings to allow the docks to hide behind the windows when maximized.  Is there some way around this?
Thanks

And my son has a 32 bit machine I want to put PinguyOS on but I can't seem to get it instaled, when I type "install" at the "boot:" prompt I get an error it can't find a kernel with that name.

Thanks for reading this
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:22:05 pm by davey486 »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
Re: Problem with docky
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:43 am »
Hi davey486, welcome.

I'll try to help with the Docky problem:

1-Right-Click the Docky Button. Choose Preferences.
2-After the settings window is up, click on an empty area of the dock you want to setup, the bottom or the one on the side.
3-The settings window will then allow you to change the settings for that specific dock.
4-Close the settings window, and then repeat the process for the other dock.

About your installation, have you downloaded the 32 bit version? On a 64 bit machine, you can install any of them, but on a 32 bit machine, you can only install the 32 bit version. Also, why type at "boot:"? Doesn't the menu from the live cd show up? It should appear a menu, allowing you to choose what to do, go into a live session, install and several other options.

Please report back, or if you need more help... :)
When something is working, don't FIX it.

Offline Phossy

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:09:31 am »
It's even simpler than that:

1) Left click on Docky launcher (Anchor on blue background) 
2) Click on the Dock you want to change
3) Choose the Hiding option you want (None, Auto, Intellihide or Window Dodge) and close

Not much in it I know!

Offline Pinguy

• Administrator
  • Full
  • Karma +4/-0
  • Pinguy Master!
    • Pinguy OS
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:44:10 am »
When you boot Pinguy OS from the disc you need to hit enter first to bring up the menu that lets you chose to run the live session or to install it.
I'm the Pinguy OS developer.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Flattr.com

Offline jason

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Pinguytastic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:24:10 pm »
""And my son has a 32 bit machine I want to put PinguyOS on but I can't seem to get it instaled, when I type "install" at the "boot:" prompt I get an error it can't find a kernel with that name.""

Hi Davey,

i find that from liveUSB on some machines I have to wait a while for the menu to come up that allows me to select run live or install.

might be the same for your sons machine??

Regards

Jason
-: MEMBER OF THE PINGUY OS CONVERSION SQUAD :-

Offline davey486

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
Hi davey486, welcome.

I'll try to help with the Docky problem:

1-Right-Click the Docky Button. Choose Preferences.
2-After the settings window is up, click on an empty area of the dock you want to setup, the bottom or the one on the side.
3-The settings window will then allow you to change the settings for that specific dock.
4-Close the settings window, and then repeat the process for the other dock.

About your installation, have you downloaded the 32 bit version? On a 64 bit machine, you can install any of them, but on a 32 bit machine, you can only install the 32 bit version. Also, why type at "boot:"? Doesn't the menu from the live cd show up? It should appear a menu, allowing you to choose what to do, go into a live session, install and several other options.

Please report back, or if you need more help... :)

I know I seem like a total dummy, but I did do that. This isn't my first rodeo with docky. I have been using it for a while. I can't get to those optons. That are greyed out. It was a late night, I'm going to try and run it as root maybe I don't have the right permissions or something.

And I have downloaded both, I know  a 64bit OS won't work on a 32bit system. But on either of them, I don't get the normal Ubuntu installation screen. I get 2 lines, the first being 'ISOLINUX version xx.xx.xx.x by somebody' the second is a ine that says simply 'boot:' I push enter on either the 64bit or the 32 bit and get nothing but a statement about it not being able to find the kernel. if i type live cd on the 54bit version I boot into the livecd, on the 32bit version, noting but a statement about it not being able to find the kernel. If I type install on the 64bit version, I am brought to the installation wizard. On the 32 bit, noting but a statement about it not being able to find the kernel. I have I have tried waiting, but get nothing. Not just a minute, gone to get a cup of coffe came back, still just the boot: prompt, went to take a shower, came back still the boot prompt, went to do yard work, came back still the boot prompt.

Offline jason

• Junior
  • Karma +2/-0
  • Pinguytastic
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:30:22 pm »
well sorry i cant help beyond that i am not a techy  :(

however sounds to me like either the disk isnt writing correctly. i have had this before writing several disks (USB or CD) before it just worked. running check disks didnt highlight any issues either.  If you are using usb it might be worth running a couple of formats prior to creating the usb

jason
-: MEMBER OF THE PINGUY OS CONVERSION SQUAD :-

Offline davey486

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:04 am »
I have thought of that as well. I burned both 32 and 64 bit at 3 different speeds, with the same result for all. I will scrap the idea of getting the 32bit version to work, I have 64bit on my computer and that is just fine, my son likes xubuntu anyway.  But concern now is Docky,  I can't get to my options, they are greyed out. I can see them, but can't change them, I tried to run "docky" as root with no success, I uninstalled and reinstalled through synapti with no success.

Offline Phossy

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:39 am »
Have you activated the video drivers.?
Docky works fine for me. I have an Nvidia card and in the interests of science I just disabled the drivers for it - lo and behold the hide options are now greyed out.

Offline Craig

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »
Have you activated the video drivers.?
Docky works fine for me. I have an Nvidia card and in the interests of science I just disabled the drivers for it - lo and behold the hide options are now greyed out.

Exactly. Those options will be greyed out until you've installed a video driver and restarted. I couldn't even change my  Docky theme until I did that.

Offline davey486

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »
Thanks for the information. I noticed this morning when I turned on my computer it said that docky won't work right without compositing enabled, so I installed my nvidia drivers  and enabled it, works now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:21:45 pm by davey486 »

Offline fatgiant

• Administrator
  • Junior
  • Karma +3/-0
  • Pinguy OS Fan
    • Stay Free
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »
Great. Closed. Moved.

Nice community work here... :)

5*****
When something is working, don't FIX it.