Author Topic: Cannot finish boot from DVD - md5sum is good  (Read 1102 times)

Offline JA_Morrow

• Karma +0/-0
  • Curious Pinguy
Re: Cannot finish boot from DVD - md5sum is good
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:48:13 am »
All:

Using the "nomodeset" option did it! Pinguy OS boots up from DVD with no problems. The following post by "pakguru" to the ubuntu-tutorials site (link below) describes the procedure. His post refers to Lucid proper, but the procedure is similar for any Ubuntu-based OS.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/comment-page-1/#comments

June 3rd, 2010 at 06:22 | #20
Reply | Quote

My recent efforts at successfully resolving a ?blank screen? issue after 10.04 upgrade may be useful.
I upgraded on line from 9.10 to 10.04 on my HP Compaq Presario laptop (- with inbuilt Intel graphics chip) and then pressed to restart?and ended up with a blank screen. Out of frustration, I eventually re-installed my CD copy of 9.10.

My efforts to try and resolve the update problem led me to a Ubuntu ?Workaround ? page http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04

I then downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 on my other desktop computer and burnt it to CD, and tried installation from this CD.

1.Tap the Shift key down a few times during the booting sequence, if you?re lucky you will get into the install screen ? giving you the installation options. ? select your language and press Enter.

2.Tap the Down key to select ?Install Ubuntu?, then press F6 ? a small window opens in the right-hand corner, with half a dozen options ? you don?t need these ? click Escape to remove the box. You are left with one line ending in ?quiet splash? ? press backspace to remove the two trailing dashes, leave a space, and then type ?i915.modeset=1′ ( ? or your particular graphics code) then press Enter. 10.04 should then complete booting, and start to install.

3.When installation is complete, go to Places ? Computer ? File System. Open folders: etc ? default ? grub, and look at the text of the grub file, there should be a line ending in ?quiet splash?, leave a space and type ?i915.modeset=1′ ?. try to save the change?you can?t !!?a notice tells you that the file is ?read only?.
To disable the ?read only? status you need to go to terminal?.Accessories ? Terminal. At the prompt, type ?gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub? (-omit quote marks)- the file will open with the ?Save? tab enabled. After ?quiet splash?, type ?i915.modeset=1′?. and Save the file.
To maintain this change to the grub file, go back to Terminal and type ?sudo update-grub?, then press Enter. Hopefully the changed grub file will be stored and enable a smooth reboot.

4.At the next restart, press Shift after the boot sequence starts and you should get in to the ?grub? menu, which has four lines. Select the top line, containing ?Ubuntu generic..there are instructions (press ?e? ) on how to edit this. Add ?i915.modeset=1′ to ?quiet splash? and Save and exit.

5. After these changes my laptop boots successfully every time into 10.04..hope it does for you!